Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Self-Awareness

When I learned about self-awareness it was presented to me with this understanding -

Self-awareness is like currency.  The more you have, the more you get.  Clearly that notion is well rooted in Western Philosophy and a better economy - LOL.

I have often wondered about an Eastern Philosophy perspective on self-awareness.  I have some understanding, but cannot express it in words on a page.  This may have to be my assignment over the holidays, because I would like to have conversation about this alternative perspective. 

Regardless, I do have direct experience in an expanding self-awareness.  The more I hold the intention to be aware in my relationship with another - the more self-aware I become.  My capacity continues to expand with an awareness of my actions, interactions and thoughts while in relationship. 

Being and becoming.

4 comments:

  1. What if self-awareness is remembering truth? Truth is not a newly invented theory, not a dogma, not an idea; it is reality itself. What if we let go and become ourselves instead of a new idea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truth and reality - that is a slippery slope on a cold winter day! I do believe that surrendering to one's own truth and reality is the human journey. What does "truth" mean to you? How do you increase your understanding of your truth? Do you think everyone holds the same truth?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone absolutely does not hold the same truth. My truth will be different from yours and everyone else's. Our "truth" is determined by so many factors. Past experience, knowledge of the incident or event, religious and spiritual beliefs, cultural mores, chronologic age, where I reside and so many other things. My world view is my world view.
    Letting go and just becoming ourselves is a scary undertaking at times. There are both risks and benefits involved in that choice. Accepting myself where I am, who I am, with my strengths and weaknesses. Accepting others for who they are and acknolwedging their strengths and weaknesses is easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments Anonymous!

    I hold the same perspective as you about the nature of reality and truth. I too find that letting go and becoming one's self is a journey that can cycle between ease/flow and the grip. Each day I hope to become more self-aware, have a greater understanding of my current truth and reality and hold more compassion for "me" in this journey. I intend to increase my appreciation of self and minimize my negative/critical self-talk.

    It can be a challenge to extend with acceptance to others – this too is a continuous development opportunity for me. I have come to better understand how my formative years have finely crafted my critical lens on the world :). As I understand more about how this critical lens was formed, I consciously choose to move outward with different actions and interactions.

    ReplyDelete